Region: The Americas
‘And the award goes to…’
ATLANTA, Georgia, 24 June 2019: ASHRAE recognized the outstanding achievements and contributions of members to the Society and the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration industry at the 2019 ASHRAE Annual Conference, which took place from June 22 to 26, in Kansas City, Missouri.
The following is a list of awards and recipients:
Lincoln Bouillon Award
Carlos E Arguijo, PE, of the El Paso Chapter, received the Lincoln Bouillon Award, which recognizes a member who performs the most outstanding work in increasing membership. The award commemorates Presidential Member Bouillon’s efforts in recruiting new members. Arguijo is a mechanical engineer at Huitt-Zollars, Inc, in El Paso, Texas.
Chapter Program Star Award
Joe Chow of the Hong Kong Chapter received the Chapter Program Star Award, which recognizes excellence in chapter program endeavors. Chow is a manager at Hong Kong District Company Limited, in Hong Kong, China.
William J Collins, Jr RP Award
Daniel Redmond, P Eng, of the Ottawa Valley Chapter, received the William J Collins Jr RP Award. The award, named in honor of Presidential Member Collins, recognizes a chapter RP chair who excels in raising funds for ASHRAE’s RP campaign. Redmond is director of operations and maintenance services, Facilities Management and Planning at Carleton University, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Donald Bahnfleth Environmental Health Award
William P Bahnfleth, PhD, PE, Presidential Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, received the Donald Bahnfleth Environmental Health Award. The award, named in honor of Presidential Member Donald Bahnfleth, recognizes excellence in volunteer service focused on environmental health issues. Bahnfleth is a professor, Department of Architectural Engineering, Penn. State University, University Park, in Pennsylvania.
Homer Addams Award
Omer Sarfraz received the Homer Addams Award. The award, named after Homer Addams, founder and past president of ASHVE, which is a predecessor to ASHRAE, recognizes a graduate student who has been engaged in an ASHRAE research project at a university that has graduate programs in the areas of heating, ventilation and air conditioning, and has achieved a high standard of performance in this work. Sarfraz is a student at Oklahoma State University, in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
Government Affairs Award
Meghan K McNulty, PE, of the Atlanta Chapter, received the Government Affairs Award. The award recognizes individuals for outstanding effort and achievement in state, provincial and local government activities in connection with technical issues related to the Society. McNulty is project engineer at Servidyne, in Atlanta, Georgia.
Lou Flagg Historical Award
Randy C Schrecengost, PE, of the Austin Chapter, received the Lou Flagg Historical Award, which recognizes an individual for preparing the most outstanding historical presentation related to HVAC&R. The award is named in recognition of Presidential Member Lou Flagg, who promoted an interest in history. Schrecengost is senior project manager and principal mechanical engineer at Stanley Consultants, Inc, in Austin, Texas.
Standards Achievement Award
Richard L Hall, PE, Life Member ASHRAE, received the Standards Achievement Award, which recognizes exceptional service in the area of standards leadership and technical contribution. Hall is president at Hall Consultants, in Worthington, Ohio.
Ralph G Nevins Physiology & Human Environment Award
Bin Cao, PhD, received the Ralph G Nevins Physiology and Human Environment Award. The award, named in honor of Ralph Nevins and his contributions to research, is given to a researcher under the age of 40 for significant accomplishments in the study of bio-environmental engineering and its effect on human comfort and health. Cao is an assistant professor, Department of Building Science at the School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, in Beijing, China.
Student Activities Achievement Award
Michel D Hayek received the Student Activities Achievement Award, which recognizes a chapter student activities chair for growth of student activities. Hayek is professor, mechanical engineering, at Notre Dame University-Louaize, in Zouk-Mosbeh, Lebanon.
Youth Outreach Award
Cinthya Cecilia Carrillo Mendez, PE, received the Youth Outreach Award, which recognizes the outstanding effort of a member who actively engages a youth audience in their country, region, or local community through science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) activities. Carrillo Mendez is an HVAC project engineer at Western Allied Mechanical, in Menlo Park, California.
ASHRAE Journal Paper Award
Daniel Koenigshofer, PE, and John W Roberts, PE, Life Member ASHRAE, received the Journal Paper Award for the article, “Do OA Economizers Make ‘Cents’ in Hospitals?” judged to be the best article published in ASHRAE Journal. Koenigshofer is vice president of healthcare engineering and Roberts is senior mechanical engineer at Dewberry Engineering, in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Science and Technology for the Built Environment Best Paper Award
Burak Gunay, PhD; Weiming Shen, and Chunsheng Yang, received the 2018 Science and Technology for the Built Environment Best Paper Award for “Blackbox Modeling of Central Heating and Cooling Plant Equipment Performance”. The article was published in November 2017. Gunay is an assistant professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Carleton University, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Shen is principal research officer and Yang is senior research officer at the National Research Council Canada, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Crosby Field Award
Amy Van Asselt, PhD; Douglas T Reindl, PhD, PE, Fellow ASHRAE and Gregory F Nellis, Fellow ASHRAE, received the 2018 Crosby Field Award for the paper, “Strategies to Increase Deployment of Renewables Using Cool Thermal Energy Storage”, which was judged to be the best paper presented before the Society. The Crosby Field Award is named for a former Presidential Member. Van Asselt is assistant professor at Lafayette College, in Easton, Pennsylvania. Reindl is a professor and Nellis is Ouweneel-Bascom professor and associate chair, Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, Wisconsin.
ASHRAE Technical Paper Award
The following papers received a Technical Paper Award, which recognizes the authors of the best papers presented at Society conferences:
- Peng Yin, PhD; Carl Lewis Reid and Dennis L O’Neal, PhD, PE, received an award for “Modeling Variable-Airflow Series Fan-Powered Terminal Units with a Mass and Energy Balance Approach”. Yin is assistant professor at the University of Louisiana, in Lafayette, Louisiana. Reid is systems specialist at Environmental Systems Corporation, in Austin, Texas. O’Neal is dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science at Baylor University, in Waco, Texas.
- Peng Yin, PhD, Dennis L O’Neal, PhD, PE, and Di Lu received an award for “Annual Energy Performance Evaluation of Series and Parallel Fixed-Airflow Fan-Powered Terminal Units”. Yin is assistant professor at University of Louisiana, in Lafayette, Louisiana. O’Neal is dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science at Baylor University, in Waco, Texas. Lu is a PhD candidate, Department of Mechanical Engineering at Texas A & M University, in College Station, Texas.
- Peng Yin, PhD, Dennis L O’Neal, PhD, PE, received an award for “Modeling Variable-Airflow Parallel Fan-Powered Terminal Units with a Mass and Energy Balance Approach”. Yin is assistant professor at the University of Louisiana, in Lafayette, Louisiana. O’Neal is dean, School of Engineering and Computer Science at Baylor University, in Waco, Texas.
- Shima Sadat Shahahmadi and Li Song received an award for “Valve Flowmeter Enhancement through Computing Valve Dynamic Behaviors”. Shahahmadi is systems engineer at ClimateMaster, Inc, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Song is associate professor at University of Oklahoma, in Norman, Oklahoma.
Willis H Carrier Award
Peng Yin, PhD, and Carl Lewis Reid received the Willis H Carrier Award, which is given to a member 32 years of age or younger for presenting an outstanding paper at a Society conference. The award is presented for “Modeling Variable-Airflow Series Fan-Powered Terminal Units with a Mass and Energy Balance Approach”. Yin is assistant professor at the University of Louisiana, in Lafayette, Louisiana. Reid is systems specialist at Environmental Systems Corporation, in Austin, Texas.
Distinguished Service Award
The Distinguished Service Award salutes members of any grade who have served the Society faithfully and with distinction and who have given freely of their time and talent in chapter, regional and Society activities. The following members were recognized:
- Gerardo Alfonso, Eng, senior consultant, Ingeal, SA, Bogota, Colombia
- Charlene Warres Bayer, PhD, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, chairman and chief science officer, Hygieia Sciences LLC, Marietta, Georgia
- Niels Bidstrup, PhD, chief engineer, Grundfos Holdings A/S, Bjerringbro, Denmark
- Alonzo AB Blalock, PE, commissioning manager, Jacobs Engineering Group, Fort Worth, Texas
- Nohad I Boudani, P Eng, director of technical and R&D department, SODICOM SAL, Beirut, Lebanon
- Clive Broadbent, P Eng, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, consulting engineer, Clive Broadbent & Associates Pty Ltd, Canberra, Australia
- Robert B Burkhead, president, Blue Haven Technologies, Louisville, Kentucky
- Dimitris A Charalampopoulos, owner, D A Charalampopoulos & Associates Engineering Consultants, Paleon Phaliron, Greece
- Rupal A Choksi, assistant vice president, quality and product selection services, Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI), Arlington, Virginia
- Jon J Cohen, technical staff consultant, ChemTreat, Glen Allen, Virginia
- James G Crawford, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, retired, Trane/Ingersoll-Rand, Tyler, Texas
- Lorenzo Cremaschi, PhD, associate professor, mechanical engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
- Den Low Han Guan, PE, director, EMS Design & Consultation, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Pam Duffy, PE, owner, Spark One Solutions, LLC, Dallas, Texas
- Philip W Fairey, deputy director, Florida Solar Energy Center, Cocoa, Florida
- Gus Faris, Life Member ASHRAE, vice president, engineering, Nailor Industries, Inc, Houston, Texas
- Bruce L Flaniken, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, design & construction manager of engineering, Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas
- Brian Hafendorfer, PE, systems development engineer, Trane, Lexington, Kentucky
- William M Healy, PhD, group leader, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Mark A. Hertel, PE, Life Member ASHRAE, executive vice president, Inter-Island Solar Supply, Honolulu, Hawaii and senior engineer, SunEarth, Inc, Fontana, California
- Jaap Hogeling, Fellow/Life Member ASHRAE, director, EPB Center and Manager International Standards, ISSO, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Jonathan Humble, regional director, Construction Codes & Standards, American Iron and Steel Institute, West Hartford, Connecticut
- Ronald Judkoff, Life Member ASHRAE, chief architectural engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, Colorado
- Esher Kweller, PE, Life Member ASHRAE, retired, research program manager, US Department of Energy Office of Building Technology, Washington, DC
- Walter W Law, Jr, PE, senior mechanical engineer/project manager, I C Thomasson Associates, Inc, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Marilyn A Listvan, PhD, consultant and chief executive officer, Listvan Consulting, Edina, Minnesota
- R Christopher Mathis, president, MC2 – Mathis Consulting Company, Asheville, North Carolina
- Dustin Meredith, PE, systems development engineer, Trane, Lexington, Kentucky
- Richie Mittal, managing director, Overdrive Engineering Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, India
- John S Molnar, PEng, chief executive officer and director of engineering, CoEng Advisors Inc, Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- Matthew J Nelson, PE, managing principal, ECO Commissions, Cleveland, Ohio
- Zheng O’Neill, PhD, PE, associate professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Kathleen Owen, Fellow ASHRAE, consulting engineer/owner, Owen Air Filtration Consulting, Cary, North Carolina
- Gary Phetteplace, PhD, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, president, GWA Research, LLC, Lyme, New Hampshire
- Donald Prather, technical services manager, Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), Arlington, Virginia
- Keith Reihl, PE, owner, Reihl Engineering, LLC, Cypress, Texas
- Rachel L Romero, PE, energy engineer, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, Colorado
- Heather Schopplein, PE, pre-construction manager, University Mechanical & Engineering Contractors, El Cajon, California
- Robert E Simmons, PE, chief executive officer, Petra Seismic Design, and Seismic Source International, Houston, Texas
- Eric Sturm, applications engineer, Trane, La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Wei Sun, PE, Fellow ASHRAE, president and chief executive officer, Engsysco, Inc, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Jonathan I Symko, Life Member ASHRAE, president, QSC Consultants, LLC, Sugar Land, Texas
- Marija S Todorovic, PhD, PE, Fellow ASHRAE, chief executive officer, VEA-INVI Ltd (Virtual Engineering & Art-Investment Vision) and guest professor, Southeast University, School of Energy and Environment, Nanjing, China, WAAS (World Academy of Art & Sciences), and AESS (Academy of Engineering Sciences of Serbia), Belgrade Serbia.
- Richard E Vehlow, PE, professional engineer, Technical Services Group, New York State Office of General Services Real Estate Center, Albany, New York
- John L Wright, PhD, P Eng, professor emeritus, department of mechanical and mechatronics engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Keith A Yelton, Life Member ASHRAE, retired owner, ACI Mechanical Sales, Gresham, Oregon
- Forrest S Yount, associate director, commercial digital business systems, Carrier, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Richard A Zbin, Life Member ASHRAE, facilities director, Silver Spring Data Control, Kaiser Permanente, Silver Spring, Maryland
Exceptional Service Award
The Exceptional Service Award recognizes Distinguished Service Award recipients who have continued to serve faithfully and with exemplary effort. The following members were recognized:
- M Kent Anderson, Life Member ASHRAE, resides in Traverse City, Michigan
- Walid Chakroun, PhD, PE, Fellow ASHRAE, professor, college of engineering and petroleum, Kuwait City, Kuwait University
- Kelley Cramm, PE, mechanical technical leader, Henderson Engineers, Lenexa, Kansas
- David Scott Fisher, Life Member ASHRAE, retired consulting engineer, State Farm Mutual Automobile Company, Bloomington, Illinois
- Arthur L Giesler, director of sales, PermAlert, Perma-Pipe Inc., Niles, Illinois
- William Klock, PE, vice president, EEA Consulting Engineers, Austin, Texas
- Lawrence C Markel, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, technical staff consultant, energy and environmental directorate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- R Christopher Mathis, president, MC2-Mathis Consulting Company, Asheville, North Carolina
- John H Nix II, energy engineer, John Nix Consulting, LLC, Gainesville, Florida
- Jeffrey D Spitler, PhD, PE, Fellow ASHRAE, regents professor, school of mechanical and aerospace engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- Wei Sun, PE, Fellow ASHRAE, president and chief executive officer, Engsysco, Inc, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Edward Ka Cheung Tsui, managing director, Intelligent Technologies, Ltd, Wanchai, Hong Kong, China
- William F Walter, retired, Carrier Corporation, Syracuse, New York
- Richard D Watson, president, SSHC, Inc, Old Saybrook, Connecticut
- David P Yuill, PhD, PE, assistant professor of architectural engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Omaha, Nebraska
Distinguished 50-Year Member Award
The Distinguished 50-Year Member Award is given to individuals who have been a member for a minimum of 50 years, and are either a past Society president, Fellow ASHRAE or Distinguished Service Award recipient or who have performed outstanding service to ASHRAE or its predecessor societies – the American Society of Heating and Ventilating Engineers (ASHVE), the American Society of Refrigerating Engineers (ASRE), and the American Society of Heating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHAE). The following members received this award:
- Ainul Abedin, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, principal, Ainul Abedin Consulting Engineers, Karachi, Pakistan
- Paul Ross Conrad, P Eng, Life Member ASHRAE, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Charles C. Copeland, P.E., Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, president and chief executive officer, Goldman Copeland Associates, New York, New York
- Daniel J Driscoll, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, resides in New Hyde Park, New York
- Walter T Grondzik, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, professor, Department of Architecture, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
- Hng Hung Chenh, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, partner, PCR Consulting Pte Ltd, Singapore, Singapore
- Richard D Miller, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, president, Richard D Miller, PE Construction-Engineering Consultant, Henderson, Nevada
- Yasunobu Nishi, Dr Eng, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, chairman emeritus, Board of Trustees, Hokkaido University of Science, Sapporo, Japan
- Avraham Shitzer, PhD, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, professor emeritus, department of mechanical engineering, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
- Edward F Sowell, PhD, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, president, Ayres Sowell Associates, Inc., Placentia, California
- Alan Thompson, C Eng, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, Auckland, New Zealand
- Samuel G Toub, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, resides in Dallas, Texas
- Cedric S Trueman, P Eng, Life Member ASHRAE, resides in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Alfred W Woody, PE, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, resides in Norton Shores, Michigan
- Robert A Zagar, PE, Life Member ASHRAE, commissioning specialist, Jacobs Engineering, Saint Louis, Missouri
Andrew T Boggs Service Award
Ross D Montgomery, PE, Fellow ASHRAE, received the Andrew T Boggs Service Award. The award, named after ASHRAE’s executive vice president emeritus, recognizes an Exceptional Service Award recipient for continuing unselfish, dedicated and distinguished service. Montgomery is president at Quality Systems & Technology Inc, in Tampa, Florida.
Louise & Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award
Predrag Pega Hrnjak, Fellow Life Member ASHRAE, received the Louise and Bill Holladay Distinguished Fellow Award. This annual award is given to an ASHRAE Fellow for continuous preeminence in engineering or research work. The honor was initiated in 1979 by Presidential Member Bill Holladay. Hrnjak is Stoecker Faculty Fellow, Distinguished Research Professor, Director, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Center at the University of Illinois, in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, and president at Creative Thermal Solutions, Inc, in Urbana, Illinois.